• June 12, 2018: Book reading and discussion. Write On, Door County, Wisconsin.
Read an interview with Write On Writer-in-residence Dr. Debotri Dhar here: https://doorcountypulse.com/writer-as-hummingbird/
• August 21, 2017: Book reading and discussion. Institute for Research on Women and Gender, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
• August 26, 2016: Book Reading. India International Center, New Delhi.
• August 27, 2016: ‘Women and Travel.’ British Council, Kolkata, India. Talk.
• March 16, 2016: ‘Bodies of Knowedge.’ Center for the Education of Women, co-sponsored by the International Center, South Asian Studies Program, Education Studies, and Institute for the Humanities, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Talk.
• Dec 8, 2015: ‘Feminist Pedagogy and Humanitarian Education.’ Department of Education Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Colloquium talk.
• Nov 17, 2015: ‘Conversions: (Re)Writing Women and the Politics of Religion.’ Institute for the Humanities, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Public talk.
• August 26-27, 2014: Seminar on Gender Violence and Education Reform, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University. Invited presentation.
• April 9, 2014: ‘Women’s Sexuality and the State,’ University of Pennsylvania. Course on Women and Conflict: Sexuality, Terrorism, and Human Rights. Invited course lecture.
• November 15, 2013: ‘Of Pitfalls and Possibilities: Feminist Transnational Anti-rape Organizing Across Difference.’ Public talk co-sponsored by Boston and Brandeis Universities.
• March 7, 2013: ‘Bollywood: Cultivating Social Change through Arts and Media,’ East Brunswick Public Library and New Jersey Council for the Humanities. Public Talk.
• April 9-10, 2011: ‘Beyond the Binary: Rape, Suicide and the Indian State’ Modern South Asia Conference, Yale University. Invited Presentation.
• Dec 13, 2011: ‘Death, Masculinity and the Nation in the writings of Rabindranath Tagore’ Graduate Colloquium on Gender and Sexuality, Princeton University.
The Hummingbird Global Writers’ Circle is an international reading series established and curated by Dr. Debotri Dhar.
This literary initiative aims to bring writers and communities together, in different parts of the world, to foster a love of books and the craft of writing, and to promote cultural exchange and global understanding in small ways. The name was inspired by the tiny hummingbird which builds its home with just a few drops of nectar, a root here, a leaf there, and a little bit of sky.
The Circle’s themed book readings and discussions featuring established and emerging writers are free and open to the community. Debotri floated the idea during a book reading on a winter evening in Manhattan, and it was greeted with enthusiasm by friends and fellow-writers who had gathered around a cozy fireplace, in a beautifully book-bound Tribeca home. Following the public announcement of the initiative, exciting collaborations began to be finalized.
On August 21, 2017, a book reading was held at the Institute for Research on Women and Gender at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, bringing together award-winning novelists and poets around the theme of “Writing Gender.” Thereafter, a book reading-cum-discussion was held in Corte Madera , California, on October 13, 2017, at the iconic community bookstore Book Passage, followed by an open-air weekend reading on October 15 in Graeagle, California, in the lap of the spectacular Sierra Nevada mountains. The theme of the California readings and literary discussions was “Steep Hills.” In 2018, readings were held in Portland, Oregon, on March 22 at Broadway Books. The theme in Portland was "Work." On June 12, a book reading-cum-discussion was held in Door County, Wisconsin, where Debotri had been selected as a writer-in-residence.
The next Hummingbird literary meet will be in Dallas in summer 2019.
The Hummingbird Global Writers’ Circle plans to keep expanding to include multiple languages, genres, themes and formats, with details being rolled out in a phased manner. To learn more about the circle’s activities, or to participate in or attend our free community events, please follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/The-Hummingbird-Global-Writers-Circle-291948757937161/?fref=mentions&pnref=story
Copyright © 2019 Debotri Dhar - All Rights Reserved.